Monday 16 May 2011

Going to the Mall


Being new in town, I only was able to recognize some of the main roads and a few malls. Yeah, well.., I know what you would say, but no! I didn’t go for the sake of shopping!!

So I took a taxi.. went to Ibn Batuta Mall, Some people wouldn’t call that an experience! But there’s more to the story if you knew the details.

Fisrt, I opened the iPad to make a new shopping list, as I typed the items I needed, it gave me suggestions to the product’s brands, prices, and where to find it! That was so cool, because it actually helped me find the best products I needed in such a little time.

So, I was imagining that getting a taxi in this kind of hot weather will be like a mission impossible! But I was wrong.  I visited the  RTA’s website (RTA is the Roads & Transports Authority in the UAE: which is probably the BEST governmental online service in the Middle East), so I grabbed the phone, called a taxi, and it took them less than 5 minutes to be right on my doorstep! YEAH! That’s something! When compared to what I used to go through before, where getting a taxi meant standing at the pavement waiting desperately and receiving “compliments” from the guys around.

The shops are organized in general, you feel like your thoughts are right in place in your head where they should be  as you make your way to get what you want. But of course... what I say is based on my own experience combined with my own persona, maybe some people would disagree.

It didn’t end up well when I tried going back home, the taxi driver didn’t have a clue of how to get to the area where I live. He was going around and around the place until I managed to recognize the roads and show him the way... that consumed a lot of time and money!

But the first thing that was obvious for me to learn from this small experience is that; life is easier around here, and you really don’t have to struggle to get your things done everyday...  or exhaust yourself  worrying about how to get through the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment